Have you thought about day to day life after giving birth?
Most people consider and chat about birth plans. I’m the first to admit that I wish I had made a birth plan, or at least made an effort to be more informed about birth. But you know what less people plan for?
The realities of postpartum. Postpartum is the time from after you give birth until always. But for our purposes, we will talk mainly about the first 6 weeks post birth.
Are you familiar with juggling? Holding several balls in the air at the same time will acting like its all easy-peasy.
That is a lot like postpartum days in our western culture. We are shaped by society to act like we have everything under control and we are loving life meanwhile, we are:
– Greiving the loss of a baby or the loss of life before baby (yes both forms of grieving are normal and valid)
– Bleeding… enough to wear or consider wearing adult diapers. But really, they work!
– Learning how to care for a super tiny, wildly dependant HUMAN BEING Sometimes. Or trying to move forward in life without a tiny dependant human.
– Healing with a dinner plate sized wound in our uterus. No exaggeration.
– Dealing with hormones, Baby Blues, or Postpartum Mood Disorders.
– Feeling unsexy.
– Wondering when we loose this “I’m still pregnant” look.
– Trying to find time to shower or sitz bath.
– Feeling anxious, worried, and unlike a good parent.
– Feelings of joy and overwhelm
And so much more.
It’s okay not to be okay during this time. It’s okay (and historically normal) to need extra care and support.
Setting expectations for this time in your life is important. Planning for things as simple as how you will get meals and snacks, who will take care of house chores, and how can you get the most sleep are all things that will make postpartum easier.
As well, in depth conversations with your partner or loved ones about what you may need is excellent. Keep in mind not to take every piece of advice as evidence-based knowledge and consult with professionals when it comes to healing and infant care.
If you are ready to make your Postpartum a success, start with my Plan Your Postpartum Virtual Workshop. It consists of 3 online live videos posted weekly (each saved for anyone who can’t be live), handy snack recipes for after birth, handouts and worksheets to help you thrive, and lots of supported discussion with yours truly.
Cost for this workshop is a sliding scale – Pay what you can between $20 – $40 CAD. It will be held in a private Facebook group. If you would like to join, register below!
Wishing you and yours an informed, planned birth and postpartum experience.
Lauren (Mama) Miller